30 Temmuz 2013 Salı

Brief History of a Regular Bike Commuter


I was seven years old. School was out. My brother and I were staying at my grandparents for the summer. That is when I first had the vision of myself on a bicycle wandering the old streets. I asked my grandpa if we can buy a bike. He probably didn't think I was serious, as we didn't get one. When I think back today, I don't know why I let it go so easily and didn't remind him again.

Several years later, when I was in middle school, my parents bought a bicycle and a skateboard. The idea was to teach us how to share. My brother, who is four and a half years younger than me, opted for the bike and I gladly went for the skateboard. I don’t think that’s what my parents had in mind for sharing, but hey, it was not very common for a girl to go to her volleyball practice on a skateboard, and I just loved being that girl. So it worked out well for me.

Later, during my high school years, that bicycle was now too small for me. And oops, I didn't yet have a chance to learn how to ride it. Not knowing how to ride a bicycle was becoming a bugging thought for me. One summer, we were at my great uncle's summer house on the Aegean coast. On a beautiful sunset during that vacation, my dad attempted to teach me how to ride. I hopped on my uncle’s bike. My dad gave the bike a little push and I was gracefully -at least in my mind- circling around the house, my long hair moving with the warm summer evening breeze; I was on a bike and oh so happy... Until I realized that daddy didn't teach me how to stop yet! I couldn't corner a turn where there was sand from the beach. Not knowing how to stop, my first instinct was to jump out of the bike, which resulted with the pedal scraping my left leg almost showing the bone. It scraped my teenage confidence away too. If the scar is barely visible today, I owe this to my mother's soft touch and very oily lotion. Its emotional scar was deeper...

Many years passed by. I was thirty years old: three zero: 30 and I still didn't know how to ride a bike.

I always believed that my life would be different after thirty. It was a November morning, two months before my thirty-first birthday. The sun was out and the air was clear. There was a slight smell of burning wood from fireplaces of nearby houses. It was early in the morning, yet it was not cold at all. The nature was inviting with its fall colors and smells. My brother used to live close to the Accotink Trail entrance by Arlington Blvd. He said let's take bikes and ride on the trail. I growled and told him that I didn't know how to ride and if I was to attempt to get on a bike I would fall within the first minute. He calmly convinced me to take his roommate's bike and give it a try. It was a beautiful blue bike shining under the morning sun. I sat on it wishing so badly that I could ride. I slowly pushed down the right pedal, scared that I would fall, I pedaled, though I couldn't let go of the fear of falling, I kept thinking that I would fall any second... And I fell. Just like that. Plop. I fell to my left side, very softly. I was relieved that I fell and got over it. Honestly, the actual fall was not as bad as the one I had in my head, it was actually rather funny. My brother said all I needed was to learn to use the brakes, otherwise I was alright. I believed him, so we rode, all day. He patiently taught me, I remember him even calling out the shifting gear I should be on, I was that clueless. We came home that day with sore bottoms but smiling faces. This was not the only change I was going through back then, but my life was very different after that day on which I finally learned how to ride a bike. I thank my brother for this gift everyday.

The next chapter of my bicycling life started two and a half years after learning to ride, it was one cold February morning, I was bored from the long cold winter, and from its endless grays and whites. I was tired from being inside the house all the time, inside the car, the office... That's when I had the "crazy" idea of biking to work! Could I do it? Distance: about seven miles one way, outside temperature: 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Well, at least, I could have given it a try... I put on a few layers of sweatshirts and a wind jacket, packed my work clothes into a backpack, kissed my husband and left the house. When I pulled my bike out from the garage, my heart was pounding with excitement and fear at the same time; it was the perfect adrenaline mix. My way to deal with difficult situations is to have a run away plan; knowing that there is a way out, relieves my stress. My run away plan that morning, thanks to my brilliant husband, was to take the bus if I felt like I couldn't bike all the way, I had already checked the bus schedule to leave 15 minutes ahead of the bus in case I needed to jump on it...  After one hour and fifteen minutes, I was proud to call and tell my hubby that I didn't need the bus! Sure it was cold, and challenging; my clothes were getting heavier with my sweat, but I wouldn't have traded this feeling with anything else. I had biked all the way to the office, from Oakton to Tysons Corner. That one hour and fifteen minute ride changed me forever; this was a new me, and oh how I loved this new me!

Since that cold February morning, I have been riding my bicycle to work regularly. Now it takes me less than half the time it took me on my first ride. It sounds easy when I say it, but it wasn't at all...  Considering that I learned how to ride a bicycle only five years ago, at the age of thirty, biking wasn't a natural thing for me, I had to learn and practice what other bikers were able to do so casually, for example to get on and down from a sidewalk, raising from the seat while riding up hill, even the close turns were a challenge. Also, at first, I didn't believe in myself much. I wasn't sure if I was strong enough at muscle or at will to keep it up. It wasn't like magic. It didn't just happen. I worked at it day by day, pedal after pedal, and I changed... My stubbornness finally paid off! 

I was a regular all weather commuter, however I still was not comfortable riding on Chain Bridge Rd. (aka 123) during traffic. I knew how it was like to sit in that traffic, trying to catch the green light before it turns red again; being stuck, getting frustrated. I was one of the drivers on that road until recently, I knew how they felt, rushing to get to work in the mornings and then to get back home in the evenings. I didn't want to be in their way, so I mostly used the sidewalk. This past January, I was biking to work on my regular route again, using the sidewalk. I was in a great mood, it was a sunny winter Friday morning, only a week before my trip back home to celebrate my thirty-fifth birthday with my family. I had no reason to rush to get to work at all, actually I was early. I was thinking how good the hot shower in the office gym will feel in a few minutes. Oh I was so happy. I was three blocks away from the office, from there on, it was downhill, I picked up some speed, there was not much traffic. Then, I saw a car, did she see me I couldn't tell. I slowed down as much as I can. She had a stop sign, she would stop, right? The bike shook under me. In slow motion, I saw the car hitting my bike from the left. I was surprisingly calm, I knew I was going to fall now, and it was important how I fell. I remember thinking to fall away from the car so I don't damage it. You know how they do it in movies, the scene starts in slow motion, then fast-forwards; that's exactly how it felt, someone hit the fast-forward button on my movie, everything happened so fast after that. I managed to keep my calmness, until I heard my teeth crumbling on the asphalt. That's when I lost it...  Everything I preached, "make sure you are seen", "make eye contact", "never assume they see you", "never assume they will stop for you", that morning I failed to do. Not only my teeth, but my heart was broken. I was angry. And I was angry with myself the most. I had to find a way to forgive myself.

The only way to make peace with myself was to not to let this accident be the end of my bicycling experience. I had to get back to riding again, I needed to. And I needed to ride better and ride safer. I allowed some time before I get on my bike, but not long enough to let fear build up. I did whatever I can to feel safer and more comfortable and confident on the bike, for example, although there is no law against it, I try not to use the sidewalk, as I realize that is where the drivers least expect to see us. I changed my route too, even though it is a longer commute now, I take Courthouse Rd. to WOD Trail and then I use the bike lane on Gallows Rd. I am only a mile or so on 123 during which I try to ride close to the curb. But honestly, on certain days, I feel safer to exercise my right to take over the lane. I wear a reflective vest, always, always, always, and added red flashing lights to my bike, to my rack bag; I am still trying to find a way to attach one to my helmet. I try to attend different group rides to learn from others. I also look for opportunities to participate in local charity and volunteer rides and bicycle advocacy events, these are great occasions and fun ways for me to share the love of riding with others. Oh and I changed my bike also, I am grateful to both Performance Bike and Spokes Etc. for their time to help me choose the right bicycle and size. I have to admit, there is no one perfect bike, so now I own three. In case you are curious, I have my teeth fixed, I don’t think you can tell the difference, only I can, it’s my reminder every day…

There is still so much to learn, for example I really would like to get comfortable with clipless pedals. I still feel uneasy going downhill full speed without pumping my brakes to slow down, I would love to get over this fear one day. I know I can be better with my hand signals. And so on... So I try. I try to be better everyday, a better biker, a better person. I take every possible -and sometimes what seems like an impossible- opportunity. I am committed to ride 320 miles from NYC to DC this September. I am very excited to join the Climate Ride, a charity ride to raise awareness about sustainable energy sources and bicycling. Each rider needs to raise a certain amount of donations. If you are tempted to help out and be a part of my prayers, here is the link to my fundraising page: http://bike.climateride.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=2296
What you read is not just my short history of biking, but a proof that we can change. Yes we are capable of making a change. And no matter what it takes, we are happy when we make a difference.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder